What's Happening in Nature in September?
• Hummingbird numbers peak around Labor Day, then start to dwindle as they head south for the winter.
• Blackbird (grackles, cowbirds and redwings) flocks can number in the thousands.
• Broadwings and other hawks pass through.
• Peak of Blue-winged Teal migration.
• First flickers and kinglets can appear by the end of this month - they love suet.
• Migration month! Early sightings of catbirds, goldfinches, buntings, etc. are possible.
• Early flocks of robins may be seen.
• Peak migration for Bald Eagle and other raptors.
• House Wrens begin arriving in late September.